Nicholas A. Abidi, MD Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine – 1991
Thomas Jefferson University / The Rothman Institute at Jefferson
Foot and Ankle Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Howard Hughes Medical Institute Molecular Biology at the National Institutes of Health
Helping my patients improve their function and return to their normal active lives is what makes me the happiest about my profession” -Nicholas A. Abidi, MD
As an orthopedic surgeon, I am fortunate to be able to combine my passion for helping others and my ability to fix my patients’ conditions with my hands. I am happiest when my patients leave my office or the operating room with improved function and return to their active lifestyles. Using a variety of orthopedic techniques, both non-surgical and surgical, I provide individualized care for hip, knee, foot and ankle conditions as well as sports injuries.
As a total joint replacement specialist, I provide minimally invasive anterior approach hip replacements and partial or total knee replacements for my patients. I have performed Total Ankle Replacements in addition to many complex foot and ankle procedures since 1997. I am pleased to use my trauma and sports medicine training to serve as team physician for Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Being involved with regional and national medical and civic organizations to improve the care of orthopedic patients has always been important to me.
I spend a large part of my time volunteering with these organizations by participating in the peer review process of medical publications and quality improvement. I am nationally engaged in patient reported outcome studies and quality measurement in orthopaedics. I have lead our local orthopedic team to national recognition. When I’m not seeing patients at OrthoNorCal I enjoy attending my children’s athletic events, training my dogs, skiing, boating and traveling.
Photography, computers and learning new technologies as they become available are some of my other interests. Please let me know if there is anything my staff and I can do to improve your experience at OrthoNorCal. I look forward to meeting you!
Professional Memberships & Recognitions
- American Medical Association
- Thomas Bond Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- California Medical Association
- Former President, Santa Cruz County Medical Society
- Santa Clara County Medical Association
- Board of Directors, California Orthopaedic Association
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Question Writing Task Force, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Chair, Health Policy Committee, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Delegate, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, American Medical Association
- Institutional Review Board, Dominican Hospital, Santa Cruz, California
- Surgical Quality Improvement Committee, Dominican Hospital, Santa Cruz, California
- Chief Medical Officer & Chief Technology Officer, OrthoNorcal Orthopedic Specialists
- Lead Attending Physician, Dominican Hospital Total Joint Program
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Lifetime Achievement Award
- Advanced Trauma Life Support – Instructor Certification
- Medical Device Patents – USPTO
- Consulting Team Physician, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Consulting Team Physician, Cabrillo College
- Aptos High School
- San Lorenzo Valley High School
- Dominion Sports Procedure Center
- Team Physician, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Physician's Assistant Raymond Villaverde
Ray sees patient in the clinic and assists Dr. Abidi with surgical procedures. Together they provide personalized and comprehensive orthopedic care.
Physician’s Clinic Schedule