Nicholas Abidi, MD Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery
As an orthopaedic surgeon and total joint replacement specialist, I have successfully performed many complex foot and ankle procedures since 1997. I perform minimally invasive anterior approach hip replacements, partial and total knee replacements, and total ankle replacements to those in need. In addition to total joint replacement, I have helped to pioneer many orthobiological joint arthroscopic procedures in the knee and ankle including cartilage restoration and subchondroplasty.
I spend a large part of my time volunteering with regional and national medical and civic organizations. I participate in the peer review process of medical journal publications and quality improvement. I am nationally engaged in Patient Reported Outcome studies in orthopaedics while leading our orthopaedic team to national recognition.
When I’m not seeing patients at OrthoNorCal, I enjoy attending my children’s athletic events, training my dogs, skiing, boating and traveling. Photography, computers and learning new technologies are some of my other interests.
Please let me know if there is anything my staff and I can do to improve your experience at OrthoNorCal. I look forward to meeting you!
Professional Memberships & Recognitions
• American Medical Association
• American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
• American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
• California Medical Association
• Former President, Santa Cruz County Medical Society
• Santa Clara County Medical Association
• Board of Directors, California Orthopaedic Association
• American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
• American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery-Question Writing Task Force
• Delegate, American Medical Association
• Lead Attending Physician, Dominican Hospital Total Joint Program
• American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Lifetime Achievement Award
• Advanced Trauma Life Support – Instructor Certification
• Medical Device Patents – USPTO
• Journal Reviewer or Associate Editor: JBJS, JAAOS, Journal of Arthroplasty
• Consulting Team Physician, University of California, Santa Cruz
• Consulting Team Physician, Cabrillo College
• Aptos High School
• Team Physician, WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca
Physician's Assistant Raymond Villaverde
Ray sees patient in the clinic and assists Dr. Abidi with surgical procedures. Together they provide personalized and comprehensive orthopedic care.
Physician’s Clinic Schedule
Joint Replacement Awareness Day® is an online educational event for people suffering from joint pain and considering, planning, or having had hip or knee replacement surgery. We are proud to announce the 2nd Annual Joint Replacement Awareness Day® program to...
Considering Total Joint Replacement? Come hear Nicholas Abidi, MD & Christian Heywood, MD in the Education Center at Dominican Hospital on Thursday, January 17th, from 6-730 PM. Call 831-457-7034 to register. Click the flyer to enlarge for further details.
"Nicholas Abidi of OrthoNorCal said it takes more than immobilizing the ankle with medical tape because rushers 'are literally exploding through and carrying people.'” As college football players approach graduation, playing in the NFL is a common dream....
On Thursday, 8/16/18, Dr. Nicholas Abidi spoke at Dominican Hospital on Joint Care for Lower Extremities. We had a great turnout, with 40+ in attendance! We're so thankful for the support of our community. We'll have more community events in the Capitola/Los Gatos...
Laguna Seca fans! This weekend, 6/23 & 6/24, Dr. Abidi will be at the race track helping out the Medical Staff! Consecutive successes put van der Mark and Lowes in an extraordinary position as WorldSBK heads stateside Three wins in four races, a first 1-2 in seven...
Dr. Nicholas Abidi was a guest on Michael Olson's Food Chain Radio Show to speak about the Opioid Epidemic in the United States. Click the link to listen to the segment: www.metrofarm.com. (#1149: Managing Pain) "In one year of the Opioid Epidemic– 2016– the United...