Nicholas Abidi, MD Total Joint Replacement, Sports Medicine, Foot & Ankle Surgery
I am fortunate to be able to combine my passion for helping others with my ability to fix my patients’ conditions with my hands. Using a variety of orthopaedic techniques, both non-surgical and surgical, I provide individualized care for hip, knee, foot and ankle conditions and sports injuries. I am happiest when my patients leave my care with improved function and return to their active lifestyles.
As an orthopaedic surgeon and total joint replacement specialist, I have successfully performed many complex foot and ankle procedures since 1997. I perform minimally invasive anterior approach hip replacements, partial and total knee replacements, and total ankle replacements to those in need. In addition to total joint replacement, I have helped to pioneer many orthobiological joint arthroscopic procedures in the knee and ankle including cartilage restoration and subchondroplasty.
I spend a large part of my time volunteering with regional and national medical and civic organizations. I participate in the peer review process of medical journal publications and quality improvement. I am nationally engaged in Patient Reported Outcome studies in orthopaedics while leading our orthopaedic team to national recognition.
When I’m not seeing patients at OrthoNorCal, I enjoy attending my children’s athletic events, training my dogs, skiing, boating and traveling. Photography, computers and learning new technologies are some of my other interests.
Please let me know if there is anything my staff and I can do to improve your experience at OrthoNorCal. I look forward to meeting you!
1991University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Thomas Jefferson University / The Rothman Institute at Jefferson
Foot and Ankle Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Howard Hughes Medical Institute Molecular Biology at the National Institutes of Health
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- California Medical Association
- Former President, Santa Cruz County Medical Society
- Santa Clara County Medical Association
- Board of Directors, California Orthopaedic Association
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery-Question Writing Task Force
- Delegate, American Medical Association
- Lead Attending Physician, Dominican Hospital Total Joint Program
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Lifetime Achievement Award
- Advanced Trauma Life Support – Instructor Certification
- Medical Device Patents – USPTO
- Journal Reviewer or Associate Editor: JBJS, JAAOS, Journal of Arthroplasty
- Consulting Team Physician, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Consulting Team Physician, Cabrillo College
- Aptos High School
- Team Physician, WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca
- Love Dr Abidi! I've been getting treated by him for a few years now and I love how thorough he is with everything in his practice. He's been conservative with my treatment and I really appreciate this since I'm not anxious to have any kind of surgery on my feet. He's no nonsense and takes the time to breakdown what's going on with you and your issue.
- I can't say enough about Dr. Abidi, He has operated on me numerous time with success and also my wife. I highly recommend him and his staff. Ray, Richard,Jaime....
- Everyone is extremely nice. Dr. Abidi takes time to not only explain everything but he also shows you what is going on. I really appreciated that.
- DR ABIDI, HAS REPLACED ONE KNEE AND THIS MONTH MY HIP.
WITHOUT DR ABIDI I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE SPENT THE REST OF MY LIFE IN A WHEELCHAIR. THANK YOU
DOCTOR FOR GIVING MY LIFE BACK
AL CARLSON, RETIRED COUNTY ASSESSOR
- Abidi is the man. Thank you for my new ankle. Works like a charm
- Straight to the point. No BS. Very innovative approach and gets the job done with cutting edge procedures for a quicker and successful recovery. Thanks Dr. Abidi!
- He make me ankle surgery and feel. Free of pain for long time thanks Dr ABIDI. You’re so compassionate. Thanks
- Dr Abidi is my new guru! He diagnosed my pain quickly and today, a day later, I feel almost as good as new! Thank you so much if you should read this! I feel so grateful!