Kornelis Poelstra, MD, PhDOrthopedic & Neurological Spine Surgery
Kornelis Poelstra, MD, PhD – The Robotic Spine Institute of Silicon Valley
Los Gatos – Silicon Valley, CA – USA
Kornelis Poelstra is board certified in orthopedic spine surgery. He specializes primarily in long-construct minimally invasive spine surgeries, adult spinal deformity, oncologic conditions, spinal fracture treatment, complex revision surgery and disc replacements. He is one of the world leaders in Robotic Spine Surgery, assisted in the engineering development of currently available robotic platforms and has performed more than 750 complex robotic cases thus far – more than any other surgeon in the world.
He has an extensive research background in the prevention of implant associated wound infections, novel material sciences for both spine- as well as orthopaedic implant designs and worked on stem cell implantation for spinal cord injury. The mechanical- and cellular processes salient for the formation of a stable arthrodesis (spine “fusions”) and implant incorporation into the human body are of specific interest to him. He holds orthopaedic- and neurosurgical spine surgery training certificates from world leading institutions and also holds a PhD in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
He founded The Robotic Spine Institute of Silicon Valley and has been directing this institution since its inception. Based on his extensive robotic spine surgery experience, he has instructed surgeons all over the world with a strong focus on Asia and Europe. He has written dozens of peer reviewed publications, textbooks and chapters, and given more than 250 lectures thus far.
“Although I love to work hard, I really enjoy spending quality time with my wife and our 4 children. We challenge each other, running 5-10K races, mountain biking and rock climbing and like bouldering and hiking. I am very excited to bring the world’s latest advances in Robotic Spine surgical techniques- and implants to Northern California for the benefit of my patients.”
“I invite you to come in and learn what my staff and I can possibly do to improve your quality of life, no matter the complexity of your spinal problem. We all want to help you!”
- Undergraduate Degree: Praedinius Gymnasium – Magnet School for Science and
Technology. Groningen – The Netherlands
- Medical Degree: University of Groningen – Faculty of Medical Sciences. Groningen, The
- PhD Degree: Biomedical Engineering, University of Groningen – The Netherlands
- Internship and Residency: Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Orthopaedic- and Neurological Spine Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University – The Rothman Institute. Philadelphia, PA.
- North American Spine Society (NASS)
- Society for Minimally InvasiveSpine Surgery (SMISS)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- I highly recommend Dr. Poelstra for spine surgery using ALIF and PLIF for spinal stenosis.
- I would highly recommend Dr. Poelstra. There was one instance where he could have performed a surgical procedure to remove a cyst, but it stopped bothering me overnight after months of pain. When I explained I had no pain, Dr. Poelstra said, "If you were my sister, I would advise against this surgery". So I didn't have that particular surgery. Though, a year later, I selected Dr. Poelstra to repair my neck which was affecting my left arm. The surgery was a success and the scar faint.
- Dr. Poelstra and his team are an outstanding group. Could not have been happier with the recent back surgery they performed on me. Pain free now after years of agonizing pain. I would highly recommend Dr. Poelstra to anyone anticipating needing spine surgery.
- Dr Poelstra is the ONLY Surgeon I would trust for my spinal fusion. I have had (5) Fusions - all failed - except one - Dr. Poelstra said he could fix me; and he did. Top notch advice, follow-ups, Care, recovery plan, etc.... Simply The Best. After 16-Yeras of Pain, 87 Injections, multiple CT & MRI’s, RFI Ablations, physical therapy, and (5) Fusions.... I know what I’m talking about. If you go to ANY OTHER Surgeon —— You will be making a great mistake. Dr. Poelstra IS the Best, Period!
- really nice staff, outstanding surgery. I had debilitating sciatica pain for nearly a year. Came out ofoperation by Dr Poelstra pain free. I would recommend him to my mother if she needed spine surgery.
- Fantastic surgeon in all elements!!
- Great Experience. I wish all the doctors and clinics work the way these guys???? Do. Always responsive and willing to help. Dr. Kornelis Poelstra is The BEST from my first visit I was blown away ??how helpful and kind he was, how Fast he took care of my problem ?? he is really Knowledgeable and made me feel comfortable throughout my appointment and also during my surgery ???? His Crew Rocks, too ?? I Highly recommend Dr. Poelstra and his medical group.
- Dr. Poelstra and his team are AMAZING. From first visit to post surgical follow-up they are the best. I'm considered a complicated patient, due to multiple transplants some docs are hesitant to treat me. Dr. Poelstra did not blink, he did the decompression surgery, the result 13 years of pain gone! Anna his PA and Lara the coordinator along with the rest of the team at the office and Hospital are absolutely the best! I will recommend Dr. Poelstra without hesitation to anyone!
- I would definitely recommend Dr. Polestra to family and friends. Dr. Polestra is the best back surgeon I've ever encountered. Dr. Polestra fixed my severe back pain without attaching any hardware. During my first visit, it was obvious he was very knowledgeable and experienced. He explained my diagnoses and prognosis in simple terms for my simple mind. After the surgery, his explanations came to fruition without any problems. Outstanding!!!!!
- Dr. Poles tea takes time to explain everything. His surgery relieved my wife from years of back pain.
- My experience with Dr. Poelstra was very positive. Dr. Poelstra was very professional, technically competent and could explain the procedure I was to undergo in laymen's terms. His staff also exuded competence, compassion and approachability.
- Finally out of pain!! What a relief! Dr. Poelstra really cares for his patients and their well being. I will definitely recommend him and his team to others with spinal issues.
- Excellent provider. Very skilled and compassionate.
For more information please visit www.robo-spine.com