Kevin Murray, MDSports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery
As a lifelong athlete, I am deeply committed to helping people remain active and vital throughout their lives. I derive tremendous satisfaction from seeing individuals regain physical ability lost to injury or physical decline. My practice emphasizes a personalized approach to patient care, combining surgical and sports medicine expertise with a background in radiology and engineering to determine the best care for each individual. I strive to return patients to their full potential as quickly as possible.
Board certified and fellowship-trained with Subspecialty Certification in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, I have served as an attending physician for a wide variety of teams and sporting events at the amateur and professional levels. Currently, I am Team Physician for USA Hockey, West Valley College, San Jose State Ice Hockey, and Los Gatos High School. Past appointments as Attending Physician have included: USA Track and Field, USA Gymnastics, US Golf Association, the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Cirque du Soleil, Cleveland Indians Baseball, and the San Francisco Rush PRO Rugby Team.
I regularly teach arthroscopic and sports medicine concepts and surgical techniques at the internationally renowned Orthopaedic Learning Center, Chicago, IL; serve on curriculum and educational committees for national and international orthopaedic organizations; and review article submissions for Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. Involvement in these activities over the past decade keeps me at the leading edge of sports medicine while providing a way to give back to my profession. In addition, I remain involved with biomedical device research and development as a consultant for several Silicon Valley companies.
Outside of work, I enjoy spending time with family, playing ice hockey, golfing and hiking.
I am currently accepting new patients. Please let me know if there is anything my staff and I can do to improve your experience at OrthoNorCal. I look forward to meeting you.
- University of Minnesota, MS, Biomedical Engineering, -Yale University, BA
- Professional Memberships and Recognitions-Subspecialty Certification in Sports Medicine.
- AAOS Annual Achievement Award 2011-Present
- AANA Learning Center Committee 2013-2017, 2019-Present
- AANA Education Committee 2019-Present
- AANA Development Committee 2016-2018
- AANA Membership Committee
- Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery- Reviewer 2011 to Present
- Tecnica Gavilan. Soft Tissue Massage Tools. Patent 2018 (Replace current Tecnica Gavilan reference)
- Phoenix Orthopedic Residency Program
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Sports Medicine, SOAR
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Society for Golf Medicine and Performance, Charter Member
- Santa Clara County Medical Association
- TecnicaGavilan, LLC, Patent Pending, Tracy, CA; Co-Founder, Partner
- AAOS Sports Medicine/Arthroscopy Instructional Course Committee
- AANA Learning Center Committee
- Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery; Reviewer
- AANA Advanced Arthroscopy Traveling Fellowship Recipient 2014
- AANA Clinical Instructor, Orthopedic Learning Center
- AAOS Achievement Award (2011-2013)
- AANA Membership Committee (2011-2013)
- USA Hockey
- Los Gatos High School
- West Valley College
- San Jose State Hockey
- USA Track and Field
- Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs, CO
- San Francisco Rush Professional Rugby Team
- United States Golf Association, US Open Championship
- US National Figure Skating Championship
- Santa Clara High School (Santa Clara, CA)
- United States Track and Field (UST&F) National Championships
- Team physician for the USA Under 18 hockey team who won gold in Sweden, November 2010
- Played on a gold-medal winning hockey team in the Senior World Tournament, July 2010
- USA delegate to China with an international group of sports medicine doctors, November 2009
- UST&F Olympic Trials
- Lake County Captains Baseball Club (Cleveland Indians Class A Affiliate)
- Cleveland Indians Baseball Club
- San Francisco 49ers
- Phoenix Mustangs Professional Hockey Club
- Cleveland Junior Barons (North American Hockey League)
- USA Gymnastics Pacific Rim Gymnastics Championships
- NCAA Track and Field Championships California Junior Track and Field Championships
- NCAA Men’s West Regional Basketball Tournament
- Stanford University basketball and football
- Santa Clara University basketball and soccer
- Foothill College
- San Jose Ballet
- Cirque du Soleil
- Performed knee surgery for my 9th grade son. Dr. Murray was knowledgeable and did a great job! Would go back to him anytime for similar treatment.
- Nice man. Very knowledgeable and gentle. Consummate knee expert and surgeon.
Dr. Murray is widely known and highly respected. He trains other surgeons how to operate on knees.
- Lucky to have Dr. Murray as a treating physician. He is a superstar surgeon with great personality and superb bedside manner. What else can you ask for.
- Dr. Murray is attentive, kind and patient with his patients. The office staff is quick and professional and I like that they use wireless tablets for patients to fill out their personal info upon checking in. So much better than dealing with a bunch of paperwork and then your info is already filled out electronically upon your subsequent visits!
I’ve seen Dr. Murray several times to drain a bursitis in my elbow and I leave feeling less pain and discomfort every time. Thanks Dr. Murray!
- This isn't fair but Dr. Murray is a master of being able to instill confidence and a purity of calm in me. He's been my trusted specialist for more than 20 years. He's my go-to guy. My highest recommendation!
- Great Doctor and he cares for his patients. I'd recommend to friends and family.
- Dr. Murray has done an outstanding job with my rotator cuff surgery. Clean work, minimal pain, and each visit is not rushed and he takes the time to check progress. Exceptional!
- Dr. Murray and is very professional team have exceeded all my expectation in the repair and recovery from the procedure of by right shoulder. Excellent job!
- Very friendly and professional!
- Amazing doctor!!!