Christian Heywood, MDSports Medicine & Total Joint Orthopedic Surgery
As an orthopedic surgeon, I am able to blend my interests in medicine, physics, and engineering with my passion for helping people. I am particularly interested in the treatment and prevention of sports medicine injuries, and I enjoy working in partnership with my patients to help them recover and reach their goals. I believe in a whole-body approach to treatment and am dedicated to helping my patients not only achieve a full recovery but also improve their overall body function and performance. Through my specialty training in sports medicine and arthroscopy, I provide patients with experienced, individualized non-surgical, and surgical orthopedic care. Additionally, I specialize in total joint replacement of the shoulder, hip, and knee, as well as the care and management of fractures.
When I’m not treating patients, I enjoy participating in medical missionary work, writing and performing music, and surfing.
Please let me know if there is anything my staff and I can do to improve your experience at OrthoNorCal. I look forward to meeting you!
- Sports Medicine
- Total Joint
- Fracture Care
- Pediatric Care
- Regenerative Medicine
Dr. Heywood provides comprehensive treatment for the shoulder. This includes non-operative therapies whenever possible. He specializes in minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery utilizing state-of-the-art technologies to treat rotator cuff tears, instability and fractures. He also performs anatomic and reverse shoulder replacement.
Dr. Heywood trained in Hip Arthroscopy, a minimally invasive surgical option to treat hip labrum tears, Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) and hip cartilage injuries. He also performs Total Hip Replacement via the anterior approach.
Dr. Heywood provides comprehensive treatment for the knee, including arthroscopic treatment for ligament (ACL/PCL), cartilage and meniscal injuries, including meniscus transplant. He also specializes in Partial and Total Knee Replacement.
Dr. Heywood employs non-operative treatments whenever possible. This includes partnering with our local Physical Therapists and other restorative providers. Other modalities include Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections and developing personal exercise and wellness programs.
2003George Washington University School of Medicine
- The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy, Kerlan – Jobe Orthopedic Clinic
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- California Orthopaedic Association
- Aptos High School
- Soquel High School
- Dr. Heywood is straight forward, honest and a good surgeon. His staff is sincere and helpful.
- Dr. Heywood fixed my hip and it was like a night and day difference he's a good doctor I enjoy going to him
- Doctor Heywood is a very caring, and capable doctor. Will definitely recommend him!
- He was really great with me and took the time to talk and explain everything to me.
- DR Heywood is a very nice person
- Dr. Heywood was amazing. I've seen another practitioner there who, though seemed smart enough, was always hurried, busy, dismissive, and inattentive. Heywood was the opposite--a true delight.
- Excellent doctor - knowledgeable, explained fracture and treatment clearly, plus he took the time to listen and answer all my questions! He's very thorough and I highly recommend him.
- Excellent work taking care of two Meniscus tears and smoothing the rough surface of the cartilage. Minimal post-op pain, 10 days after remarkable relief from pain.
- He did a great job answering my questions and took his time.
- Dr. Heywood is patient and caring. His approach is conservative and he proposed a plan for treating my husband’s pain before he would consider surgery for him.
- Dr Heywood is amazing!